30th March 2014
-According to an AFP report yesterday (29th March 2014), Myanmar Government Spokeperson, U Ye Htut, said the government would not allow Muslims in Myanmar to register as Rohingya. However, it turned to be a blatant lie and conspiracy together with local media to discourage Rohingyas. Reliable sources say President Thein Sein didn’t discuss on that topic as he was having a meeting with different political parties in Yangon yesterday.
– However, this (on 30th March 2014) morning, there were some teams of population census set in some Rohingya villages in northern and southern Maungdaw. Rohingyas asked them if they could fill up ‘Rohingya’ under the ethnic cetegory. The group replied “you don’t have permission to do that.” Rohingyas, too, replied “if so, we are not participating in the census.” Hence, the census process is halted as of now.
– Reports are that the same things happened Kyauktaw and Min-Byaa Townships as well. Some Rohingya youths in a meeting with authority in Buthidaung yesterday took the similar stand. The claimed it is their legitimate right.
– It has been learnt that Rakhine Extremists and 969 terrorist Monks in Thandwe townships have been disturbing the teams of population census and hence hindering their process.
– As per the reports from Yangon, Rohingya in the city are already using the term ‘Rohingya’ in the ongoing census process.
– Immigration Minister U Khin Yi, Border Affairs Minister U Thet Naing Win, Deputy Border Affairs Minister U Maung Maung Ohn, General Hla Htay Win, Major General Hla Min, Police Chief, other state ministers and military officers had a meeting in Sittwe this morning. What they discussed about is not known yet. (Ro Myochit Report)
– Rakhines said in their meeting with U Khin Yi in Sittwe around 6PM yesterday that if the goverment allows Muslims to regsiter as Rohingya, they woul boycott the census. However, no response was given to the Rakhines by the minister in this regard. (Ro Myochit Report)
– Yesterday afternoon, Buthidaung Township Administration, SaRaPha (Military Security Affairs) based in Nyaung Chaung village, Police and Hlun Hteins (Security Force) in the township joined hands to threaten Rohingyas against their legimate right of using the term “Rohingya” in the census.
– No population has been carried out yet in Rohingya villages in Maungdaw and Buthidaung until 12:30PM today
– Around 1:30PM in Quarter 1 (Ukhil Fara), Maungdaw, a team census tried to proceed the census process with some Rohingya families. Since Rohingyas asked the team to write down ‘Rohingya’ under the ethnic category, they replied that they would be unable to do so. Then, the team asked the families to mention another ethnic name except for Rohingya. Rohingyas empasized they had nothing to claim but ‘Rohingya’ as their ethnic name. Therefore, the team left the quarter without carrying out the census.
*For more updates, watch this space!