Deadly air strike hits hospital in Syria’s Aleppo
At least 16 people have been killed in a Syrian government air strike on a hospital in the city of Aleppo, a source in the war-torn city told Al Jazeera.
The attack on Al Quds hospital on Wednesday evening left a number of medical staff and other civilians dead, including Dr Wasem Maaz, one of the last remaining pediatricians in the rebel held area of the city.
Rescue workers are working on removing bodies and survivors from the rubble of the building in the Sukkary neighbourhood and there are fears the death toll will go up, the source told Al Jazeera.
The attack is the latest in an intensification of government attacks on the city, with at least 100 civilians killed in air strikes, shelling and rocket fire since Friday.
Syria’s main opposition group, the High Negotiations Committee (HNC), on Wednesday threatened to boycott the next round of peace talks unless the government stops its bombing campaign and the situation on the ground improves.
The HNC left formal negotiations last week after at least 40,000 Syrians fled fighting near Aleppo after government forces continued an offensive against opposition fighters there.
At least 35 people, including eight children were killed in Aleppo on Tuesday in attacks carried out by the government, a monitoring group said.
Source: Al Jazeera